Black Oak - April BJP

Friday, May 7, 2010

Here's my April project - an unfurling Black Oak (Quercus kelloggii) leaf! These trees are really amazing when they leaf out in the Spring, and I've included a picture of the tree that inspired me here. This month is usually the peak of the wildflower season in this part of California, so I included the multicolored beads in specific colors I've observed in flowers. I liked the idea of including the fabric design in my beading, so I did the viney things in multi-hued greens. These greens recall all the grasses and leaves that accompany the flowers. I also got a chance to use some interestingly textured bugle beads that Mom kindly shared with me!





Note: This entry says posted by robin michelle but it's Jill's April project. I just posted for her because she's a luddite. . .

4 comments:

Robin said...

I've never seen a leaf like this, Jill... thanks for posting the tree photo as well as the one of your piece. You did a great job of capturing the feathery look of the leaf with beads!!! I love the colors too...

Robin A.

Anonymous said...

We have oak trees everywhere here in south Jersey. I'm not sure they are the same variety as yours, but their leaves seem to unfurl as well. Your piece is a lovely representation of that. I've also followed batik patterns when beading and enjoy doing that too. I also love your colors!

Robbie said...

jill, you did a very nice job!! Thanks for including the inspiration picture!

Marty S said...

This leaf is new to me, too. It's a wonderful page.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

 
One More Stitch. Design by Pocket